*****ADAPTORS ONLY FIT IN INSERT VERSION CHUCKS. See below...******
Insert version chucks accept adaptors
Dedicated/Direct thread do not accept adaptors.
NOTE: M38 x 3.5 thread measurement is sold in the US and Canada only.
M33 x 3.5 thread measurement is sold in Europe, UK, NZ, Australia, etc...
DETERMINING YOUR LATHE SPINDLE THREAD TO FIND THE CORRECT NOVA INSERT ADAPTOR
1. Refer to the insert/adaptor chart (below) to see if your lathe is listed.
If listed make a note of the SKU:______ (example IDNS, IENS, etc)
2. If not listed, look in your manual or sales literature to find the thread size.
Make a note of these:
- Machine make:
- Machine model thread size (if known):
- Inboard thread (LH – left hand or RH right hand or both:
(Look at our insert/adaptor chart below to find your size)
3. If you don’t have a manual, contact your supplier to get a copy of your manual and find out your spindle size. If they don’t have the info you can call your manufacturer. (Then look at our insert/adaptor chart below to find your size).
4. If you have reliable information for your spindle thread size but there is no match on the chart, you may have an unusual lathe that NOVA doesn’t have an adaptor for. You will need to purchase a blank chuck or a blank insert/adaptor and get it threaded to your requirements.
5. If you can’t find the information on your spindle thread size you will need to take some measurements on your lathe spindle. You only need to do these measurements if you can’t find the info anywhere else.
TAKE THESE MEASUREMENTS:
1. Outside diameter of thread:
2. Pitch of thread:
3. Length of thread:
4. Register diameter:
5. Register length:
Ensure that the thread on the adapter and lathe spindle has the exact same pitch and standard. Even if the thread size is the same there are different standards of threads, e.g. UNC/UNF and BSW. If mismatching standard threads are used it may cause damage to both lathe and chuck therefore you will have to know the thread of the spindle accurately.
A reference to quickly distinguish between Unified (UNC or UNF) and British (BSF or BSW) standards:
FLAT TOP = 60° angle (UNC, UNF, Metric threads) ROUND TOP = 55° angle: Whitworth, BSW, BSF
BSF: British Standard Fine
BSW: British Standard Whitworth
RH: Right hand
LH: Left hand
TPI: Threads per inch
UN: Unified National Standard
UNC: Unified Coarse Standard
UNF: Unified Fine Standard
UNS: Unified Special
These thread sizes listed are the size which the adaptor converts to (e.g. The thread size listed in the table should match the thread size on your lathe spindle.)
Chuck Inserts from NOVA
|I3NS||M20||1.5||Electra Beckum, Multico Sumaro|
|I6NS||3/4″||Plain Bore|| M6|
|I7NS||1 1/8″||8TPI||UN(NOT UNC)|
|I9NS||3/4″||16TPI||RH||(with 6mm register)|
|IANS||3/4″||4TPI||RH||BSP||TL1000 (pre 1986)|
|IBNS||3/4″||4TPI||LH||BSP||TL1000 (pre 1986)|
|IDNS||1″||8TPI||RH||UNC||Delta, Rockwell, Golding, General, NOVA Comet (North America) and Mercury lathes|
|IENS||1″||12TPI||RH||UNF||Myford ML8 Turnstyler|
|IINS||M24||3||RH||B-Line, Arundel K600/K450|
|IJNS||1 1/8″||12TPI||RH|| BSW||Myford Mystro Masterlathe (New Zealand)|
|IKNS||M18||2.5||RH||Elu DB 180|
|ILNS||1 1/4″||8TPI||RH||NOVA Galaxi, NOVA Saturn, NOVA DVR 3000, NOVA XP, NOVA 1624 and 1624 II (North America),|
|INNS||Blank (Can be threaded up to 28mm)|
|IQNS||M30||3.5||RH||NOVA TL1500/3000/Comet (European & Southern Hemisphere), Woodfast|
|IRNS||1″||8TPI||RH||Jet 1221 Lathe|
|ISNS||5/8″||Plain Bore||Designed Specifically for Shopsmith Pro V and Power Pro Machines|| M6|
|ITNS||1″||8TPI||Dual Threaded LH and RH||NOVA Mercury Mini Lathe|
|IUNS||1 1/8″||12TPI||RH||UNF||Taiwanese lathes|
|IYNS||1 1/4″||8TPI||RH||For lathes don’t have reverse turning ability|
|IWNS||M25||2||RH||Tyme Avon (’83 on) and Classic Tanner SD165, Selbix Springwood, Sorby, Cotech|
|IXNS||1″||8TPI||RH||Designed specifically for the NOVA Comet II Midi Lathe, features lock for the reverse function.|| M6|