Start a new topic
Solved

Vibration setting

Every cut I make stops the lathe and the display says that it's cut out due to vibration. I can't find where to change the settings. I have followed what it says in the manual but there seems to be no where to change it

1 person has this problem

Yes. And worse. I was finally able to get the 1644 to run on low or off setting. But am afraid to run the lathe. It is brand new out of the box. It also would shut off under light use saying the lathe was idle. I finally talked to John.in Fl. I have been very disappointed in this lathe.and service. It is a beautiful machine. Well built. Machined very fine. But the electronics's are a disaster. I would rather have a picture of the lathe in my shop. At least I could move it out of my way in the shop. I am supposed to be receiving another electronic board Friday that is supposed to correct this issue. Well see. I would really like to use the lathe. But I'm definitely afraid that in 5 years from now it will be out dated electronic junk. Too many problems and not enough support.
I received the new board. Easy enough to install. My Galaxi 1644 is preforming just like they claim. It is a wonderful machine to use. Mind blowing. It is fantastic. Power. Performance. And a work of art. I truly hope this lathe or the electronics hold. 10 years from now would be exactly as today. A joy to stand in front of and use.

1 person likes this

Timothy--

Which 'board' was replaced to resolve the vibration shutdown issue?  Was it the motor control board (on the back of the headstock), or the control panel board (inside the front control panel)?

Les, or anybody who runs into this issue --

I was able to resolve this issue (all vibration settings except OFF would cause the lathe to stop immediately after starting -- even with nothing mounted on the lathe) by doing a "Factory Reset".

Please refer to your owner's manual, or go to the the factory reset on your control panel:  Menu->Motor Parameters->Factory Reset (@bottom of 4th motor parameter screen).

Good luck!

The control panel board in front. They sent me an the board and front panel with emergency button and gasket. It solved the problem immediately. I have put it through different balance pieces and all setting. It works as it should. I leave it on high. If I get a vibration it is really there and shuts down. I move it to the next setting and continue until it is balanced or vibration is out and then set it back to high. So far all is great. I have about 40 hours of actually turning on the new board. This machine is a dream to use when it is working properly. Extremely frustrating when it doesn't.
My 1644 also stops due to vibration, very light work or attempt to work will shut it down. I don't know what I need to do.
I would like to run it on 240 volts but not sure how to do that.

To switch to 240 volt operation, follow the instructions linked here:

Convert to 240 volt from 120 volt operation

Regarding vibration, check the current vibration setting.  If already set to 'light', then follow instructions in your owner's manual to do a factory reset. Or read my previous post above  ^^^

That worked for me.  YMMV.

Sorry for the late reply, but it looks like nobody has answered the original question. To change the vibration settings, press Menu, scroll to Lathe Settings and confirm, and scroll again to Vibration settings. If this option is not available, you may need to upgrade your firmware to a newer version. Contact us for details on this process.

From the manual:

Vibration sensor
The vibration sensor will automatically shut down the lathe when a potential unsafe working condition has been detected. Excess vibration could be caused by an unbalanced workpiece, unstable footing or incorrect speed selected. There are four settings for the vibration sensor, these are Low, Med, High and Off. The settings can be adjusted in the Lathe Settings menu OR by pressing F3 when the vibration sensor warning is displayed.

- HIGH (default): this is high sensitivity setting, default setting on the machine. This default setting will shut down and apply braking to stop the spindle when excess vibration is detected from imbalance in the work piece or excess speed. This is a recommended setting.
- MED: this is intermediate sensitivity setting. This setting will shut down and apply braking to stop the spindle when excess vibration is detected from imbalance in the work piece or excess speed. When med sensitivity setting selected – the operator must determine that working condition are safe.
- LOW: this is low sensitivity setting. This setting will shut down and apply braking to stop the spindle when a mass of vibration is detected from imbalance in the work piece or excess speed. When low sensitivity setting selected – the operator must determine that working condition are safe. This is a NOT RECOMMEND SETTING.
- OFF: The vibration sensor can be turned off by the user to prevent the motor from shutting off due to vibration. When Off selected – the operator must determine that working condition are safe. This is a NOT RECOMMEND SETTING.

Login or Signup to post a comment